Monday, September 29, 2008

Rent Control Acts

Bookmark and Share

Welcome to Hyderabad Tenants ** Weekly updated Brokers Free Rental Properties in Hyderabad ** Watch for Hot Rental Properties here ** Owners: Post your Property details here ** Tenants: Post your Property Requirments here ** Packers and Movers List in Hyderabad ** Do's and Dont's while taking Rent ** All about Rent Control Act **

Rent Control Acts in IndiaRent Control Acts

People staying in Hyderabad from the past 10 years have all witnessed the rapid growth of thePearl-city to Cyber City. There are many issues/challenges that the city and the people living in the city face in this continuous development phase. The concern here is we always fail to win over the issue or challenge we face and just try to by pass for the hour. And that’s the reason we are still developing.

Well, Lets address one such issue the city and the people of the city are facing, which is the motive behind this blog: Unsystematic increase in Rents – This is a mammoth problem in any city which is accelerating in the phase of development. Lets try to find out a way to control this problem by answering a few important questions.

How to control the increase in rents? Is there any Law or Act which can help us out? If yes what does it say? How can it help? What are its flaws?

I have tried to find answers for the above questions and succeeded in getting substantial information.
Below is the information regarding the Rent Control Act.

What is rent control?

The practice of imposing a legal maximum (rent ceiling) upon the rent in a particular housing market, below the equilibrium rent is called rent control. If this maximum is above that market’s equilibrium rent (different rental housing markets may have different equilibrium rents), then the control is null and void. But if the rent is set at a level below the equilibrium rent, it will necessarily lead to a situation of excess demand or shortage. In a free market, prices (here, rents) would rise automatically filling the gap between the demand and the supply. But rent controls prevent prices from rising up to the equilibrium level

Does India have a Rent Control Act?

The first rent control legislation in India was introduced immediately after the First World War in Bombay in 1918. It was followed by similar legislations for Calcutta and Rangoon in 1920. By the end of the Second World War almost all the major cities and towns in the countries were covered by rent control measures. All these acts, born out of the inflationary aftermath of the First World War, were conceived as purely temporary measures to provide relief to the tenants against the demand of exorbitant rent and indiscriminate eviction by the landlords due to scarcity of houses in the urban areas.
As in other parts of the globe, the rent control laws applicable in various states in India are different with respect to various aspects and thus, a holistic analysis, though attempted here, is difficult.

-Hyderabad Tenants Blog

Read This: The Legal Aspects of Rent Control

20 comments:

http://www.chiradeepchetan.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Travel Network said...

Why do you need a double bedroom flat in Malakpet when your earning is only 9K per month..? Go to outsrkits and travel by MMTS...! You want to stay in posh area and it should happen within your 9K limit... Is this possible? Be realistin

raviji said...

Is there any law to control these high rise rents in some areas like retibowli in Mehdipatnam and other areas nearby, these owners they are not in friendly nature and they are talking like they are the gods or what.Big funny thing they are asking 5000 for a small single bed room portion, which is in this area market rate is only 2300 per month, Do you believe that, who will control this?? god save us all middle class people.
thanks

raviji said...

I HAVE AN IDEA TO REDUCE RENTS /APARTMENT RATES"
FOR ALL THESE PROBLEMS ALL THE RETIRED EMPLOYEES IF THEY DONT HAVE ANYONE OR ANY THING HERE IN THE TWIN CITIES THEY MUST GO BACK TO THEIR VILLAGES OR TOWNS,SPEND THEIR REST OF THE LIFE POLLUTION FREE AND OTHER TRAFFIC FREE LIFE, THEY MUST TELL THEIR EXCELLENT EXPERIENCE AND EXPOSURE TO THE VILLAGERS AND TOWN PEOPLE.
THIS WAY WE CAN REDUCE RENTS AND PRESUURE ON HOUSING MARKET

LampStand said...

Sir
I am a resident of Tarnaka in Hyd but I got my rent house control filed in a court/ Actually that rental house person planned before hand I suspect becos the employer who employed has troubles with me at work place and they nearly hit me with stick when I was a residential school employee and the same person (related) put me in a rent apartment without my knowledge and harrassed me verbally and tried to throw a chappal at me and evacuated me through throwing all my things out/ Can suggest me some way to get rid out of this situation as now I am homeless and without a legal help becos I cant pay for a private lawyer now as he took 10,000 from me to give notice and I cant find another place becos I am penniless and a burden with my retired parent earnings where as they charged 35,000 per 10 months and evacuated me from that/ The case is under court and I want to get another rent controller house if possible/

Mary Pal

Unknown said...

It's very useful. Thank you for sharing nice tips.
Packers And Movers In Bhubaneswar

Unknown said...

can you provide rent controller office in hyderabad's address and phone number

Unknown said...

Awesome and informative post sharing within your blog. Thanks a lot.

House for sale in coimbatore | villas in coimbatore | Budget villas in coimbatore

Unknown said...

i have been in rental house having one month notice period to vacat. So things came to know i have to leave the place hence i informed him 2 months before. the day i informed he displayed a tolet board and shwoing house to every one every one without our consent and disturbing as and when some one comes... its very irritating.always some one at calling bell. ? What to do please?

Abhiram Khandavilli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abhiram Khandavilli said...

Hi All,

I am living in serlingampally near to BHEL. At the time of joining in the rental house the landlord told me the rent 8000/- and for municipal water bill is 350/- plus motor bill 50/-, Total rent is 8400/-. Actually for one connection of a water bill in our area municipality was charging 250/- but my landlord was charging 400/- from us. And after one year he is asking about the increase of rent for 10% of current rent i.e. 8000+800=8,800. But after a big quarrel he has accepted for increase of 500. But the water bill is about to pay is only 600/- or 650/- only every month, but he is charging from us is 400/- for water. Actually we have 4 flats in our building, we need to share the 600/- municipal water bill. And he is saying every year increase of 500/- on rent, but he didn't informed me to increase of rent for every year. If i am asking about the water bill and increase of rent he is saying vacant his house, we have not written any rental agreement between us. Is there any act regarding to increase of rent in Rent Control Act, and what about the municipal water bill. Can i take any action against my landlord regarding this.Please help me and suggest with your valuable posts.

Regards
Abhi.

srikanth said...

Hi All, Landlords will increase their rent of there interest but it should not like that for every aspect there is some rules which undertaken by laws. there should be a limit. I get hike in salary and then I get increment on my rent then what is the use of hike in salary I felt am doing my job not for my sake it is just for others like (landlords, doctors etc..).
Please my request to government to act on rent issue in hyderabad.

Shambhu Kumar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SUNDER CEMENT HOUSE said...

NUZUL LEAS & AGREMENTS IN 1950S

Unknown said...

Its true brother

Pinkali said...

Can a tenant legally stay in rented apartment for two months notice period without paying rent to recover the two months advance already paid?

Vikram said...

I Am from ChandaNagar, Hyderabad

From the First month when I joined, our flat toilet room tap and wash room taps has earth issue, I spoke to my owner and convey this information to him but he was not taking the action on this issue, recently my Maid also had a shock due to earth issue in our flat, I have informed multiple times but he was not take any action and he is saying he will not take the responsibility and demanding to vacate the Flat, but I have given the agreement for 2 years and currently I am unable to move other area since my kids are studying this area and more over If want to move again it will be a more expenses need to bear my side for shifting charges. can you please suggest me how I can take this forward to legal.

current status is since a month I have stop the rent and told him to repair the power issue then take a rent very next minute.

Unknown said...

i need rent control officer phone number area nizampet kukatpaaly

xxyyss said...

hell sir, my land lord dies 2015. child under age and missing documents. we heard old house ghmc personal gave warning repair .water connection also problem .we changes water line self and house repair our own money .next what we have to do sir. kindly help me . i want to put pettition in the court. but no correct way not seen. kindly help me. i am from teleangana hyderabad. thanks.

ram said...

HI,
I have taken rent for 7800 for two rooms with kitchen and bathroom seperate(owner called it as single bedroom).
after 10 months revised rent to 8200 and now (6th month after revise) again revising to 8500. But giving notice to 1 month (I have 8 days to decide and tell him whether I should stay or vacate). When I joined , Family beside me (tenants) paying only 7200 , though theirs and mine have same space. they vacated after 2 months I joined for their own reasons. new tenants joined with 8200 rent. So my owner revised my rent to 8200. My neighbors and other floor people vacated and new people joined with 8500 / rent. So Now owner is going to revise again my rent to 8500 after 6 months of revision.

When he was revising first time from 7800 to 8200 , he said he is going to revise after 11 months . but , Now revised to 6 months only.

How fair it is?

Do I have any legal rights to do?

Thanks
ram
9700218102

Post a Comment

Comment on this Post......